Monday, December 1, 2014

Give a Little Bit

Pole sana, dear readers, for my prolonged silence.  The first Toa Nafasi "friend-raiser" of 2014 (and the first ever in New York City) followed by a working weekend in Philadelphia devoted to organizational development and then the Thanksgiving holiday made for a snowball effect the last two weeks.

After all the hullabaloo, I had to take a couple days to rest since later this week, we will host the second of this year's events, this time in Washington, D.C.  And, in just four weeks' time, I will be on my way back to beautiful Kilimanjaro to start Year Three of the Project and, hopefully, expand into the two neighboring primary schools of Kiboriloni and Msandaka.

At any rate, there is much to report but I must catch up on some correspondence and get to some financial matters kwanza, so this week's post will be a nod to #GivingTuesday, a "holiday" which was inaugurated in 2012 and which follows Black Friday (the busiest shopping day of the year) and Cyber Monday (ditto for online shopping).


Rather than focusing on the consumerism of the holiday season - and getting the best deal - #GivingTuesday is a day dedicated to giving back.  All around the world, charities, families, businesses, community centers, and students come together for one common purpose: to celebrate generosity and to give.

This year, #GivingTuesday will be tomorrow, December 2nd.

In the spirit of the day, I encourage all my readers to make a contribution to the charity of their choice.

The size of the gift does not matter, but the act of giving does.

Should you decide to donate to The Toa Nafasi Project, you can do so online at www.toanafasi.org or by mail at P.O. Box 20086, New York, NY 10014.

I leave you know with the immortal words and twelve strings of Supertramp.  Happy #GivingTuesday, everyone.

Give a little bit,
Give a little bit of your love to me.
Give a little bit,
I'll give a little bit of my love to you
.


Going home,
Don't you need to feel at home?
Oh yeah, we gotta sing....

No comments:

Post a Comment