Sunday, February 11, 2018

A Clean, Well-Lighted Place

To borrow the phrase from Papa Hemingway seems a fitting manner in which to describe this stellar library where I had the pleasure of spending two full days in peaceful contentment last week.  Well, maybe not "contentment" per se as I was preparing Toa Nafasi financial statements both for the GoT and the IRS.  But still, what a lovely, lovely place to work!



Carla and I traveled to Usa River for the Humentum "Capacity 4 Humanity" conference and, while she and Gasto conferenced (I gave up my spot, thinking it would be better to have one Tanzanian and one Westerner attend than us two, who are not only both Westerners, but practically share the same mind), I settled in to do this other necessary work.

I'll be writing up a blog entry about the conference based on Carla and Gasto's notes in a few, but until then, I will longingly remember this fantastic facility on the MS-TCDC grounds located about two-thirds of the way to Arusha.  Bonus points to the staff for the nearby and spotless toilets, and for making me feel safe enough to leave all my work and gadgets on the table.

It's not often that one finds a clean, well-lighted space in which to work uninterrupted and unfettered in Tanzania, so if I'm ever again in need of peace and quiet to get a task done, I will definitely remember to make the trip to Usa.

It's just too bad that there aren't more of these facilities in Moshi and Arusha, for both adults and kids to enjoy.  Especially for schoolchildren in the villages, a good workspace is hard to find and part of the problem when it comes to completing homework assignments or practicing exercises.

No comments:

Post a Comment