Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Zee End of Zee Day

Back in Moshi and back at work, same as it ever was.

However, I have a good feeling about this year; something feels fresh and clean, bright and shiny.  Maybe it's me, maybe it's TeeZee, I guess we'll have to wait and see....

All right, enough with my Dr. Seuss rhymes and on to this post, which are just some short videos from school, specifically Msandaka.

Carla (best friend, momager, and board member extraordinaire) arrived on Thursday, February 1st and after getting her situated, we started off this new week by passing by each participating Toa school site (there are four of them these days, if you recall: Msaranga, Msandaka, Mnazi, and Kiboriloni) to pay our respects to the headmasters and teachers employed by the government, greet the Toa tutors at each site, and generally just make sure all is well in the world.

While Carla was reuniting with her fave HM, Mr. Mlinga, speaker of French and lover of light ("ma lumiere," you'll recall from this entry: http://toanafasi.blogspot.com/2017/03/postcards-from-edge.html), I waited outside on the baraza to greet the tiny tots of 2018 as they ran off from their lessons and headed for home.

Vumi used to call this time "zee end of zee day" in her Tanzanian accent.

She rarely spoke English, but when she did, I would tease her mercilessly.  After all, it was she who basically forced me to learn Swahili, so teasing was my payback for all the hard work she put me through.

Hyasinta and I still say the phrase, and I still tease.  Although now the teasing goes both ways, since I'm old and forgetful now and Hyasinta has come out of her shell and loves to give me a good ribbing.  ("Sarah, wewe....")

Vumi would be proud.  Of both of us.

Much, much more to come as the year unfolds, so please.... stay tuned!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment